Monday, December 9, 2013

Field Test - Quantum EXO 25PTi

Readers will know that I have been using the Quantum baitcaster for several months now. Its a fantastic reel and I just love it. It even looks "sexy" don't you recon?

Well, KG from Bransfords gave me this exciting new spin reel to try out as well - not that I asked for it, much! Its also one of those fancy reels with all the holes in it, space age metals and all that. But will it perform....only one way to find out!

Here it is - The EX25PT1 by Quantum

Last Sunday I headed south to the Johnstone River. Tides were a bit off with a low around 7:00 am. I usually like to fish the tide down but with this timing, I'd have to be in the river about 4:00am and that's too bloody early for my liking.

I launched the punt under the Jubilee bridge at around 8:00 am, putted under the structure for some shade while I applied sunscreen, pulled out a few lures and headed downstream. I'll just toss a few lures around the salt while waiting for the tide to start pushing back in. I found a few jacks and barra working a mangrove corner, landed a couple, and decided that it was time to head upstream.

As this was specifically a field test for this new beaut reel, I'd better head off to where I could put its quality to work (or more to the point - see if its insides were as good as it looked! ). Now this article is not about where to go, what lure to use, how to retrieve it to make it more attractive for my targets....you all know that right. You have read my previous articles about my favourite lures etc.

Coming off the plane I eased my punt towards the grassy bank and set the electric. I clipped on my new best friend, one of those Rapala Scatter Raps in bright orange colour and tossed it far up the grassy edge. Fair dinkum, I had only turned the handle twice before this beautiful bruiser of a sooty smashed my offering.

Now that's a quality sooty!

Now, any spinning reel can cast a mile; all you have to do is flick the bail arm over, right!
As long as its;
  • Spooled correctly, just to the brim but not over it
  • The right quality braid line is used
  • The rod is matched to the reel / line size
  • The lure weight is also matched to your outfit
  • You can cast a country mile (light lures do not like windy conditions however)

Quantum spin & Green Arrow 6ks rod

But its what happens after you hook a fish that is the all important factor determining the quality of a spinning reel.
  1. Does it "feel right", sit comfortably on the rod
  2. Does the handle just fall into place
  3. Is the winding smooth and without any vibration
  4. Does the drag offer smooth release of line under load
Does the EXO 25PTi tick all the boxes - well on this first outing, sure as hell did.

Actually, at first I thought there was a little vibration coming from the reel; a little bit discerning until I worked it out. In fact these new Scatter Raps are so darn enticing with their in-built action (hence the name) that their erratic vibration was transferred right up the line, down the graphite rod and ended up in my hand - I could feel every little wobble - and this made every strike that much more enjoyable too!

J.P.'s smashed my lures too

I had an absolute ball and at the end of the day (I did stay a bit late) had caught;
3 mangrove jacks
3 J.P.'s
1 archer fish
4 juvenile barra &
15 sooties - some real horses to boot

A nice 40cm jack!















Now that's sooty fishing!

I can't wait to give the reel a decent work out on GT's, queenies, tarpon etc. but my guess is that it will perform admirably. I'll let you know.

Catch you on the water,

Regards, Les
www.fishingcairns.com.au

Just a lazy Sunday arvo!

No comments:

Post a Comment