Monday, April 29, 2013

Returning to the Daintree!

It had been absolutely ages...........I couldn't actually remember the last time that I'd ventured north to the Daintree. Not for any specific reason, I love this river, but through various circumstances I'd found myself fishing the southern waterways this past 6 months or so.

Anyway, after a late start (my mate Keith stuffed up the pick up times) we found ourselves launching at the ferry crossing as grey skies hung overhead and light drizzly rain drifted down. It looked quite bleak actually and with a bit of angst we fired up the Yammy and headed across the river.

Readers will note that I'm quite set in my ways as far as choosing a lure goes. I have been using the brilliant Flat Jack minnows for some time now and could see no reason to change today. In keeping with the recent Aussie theme, I clipped on the green & gold model....the water was a bit discoloured near the ramp so thought this colour might stand out and give me the edge.


First Barra - note that water colour!

It was only a half dozen cast when the little barra slammed my lure about half way back to the boat. I was stoked, conditions weren't ideal but at least I'd landed a barra. The juvenile was carefully photographed, the hooks removed and slipped gently back into the drink. We drifted along the backwater mangrove edges casting to the prickles and hey presto, anothe little barra hooked up. Two in five minutes, a very good start to the day.





Back out into the river proper and we drifted quietly along on the incoming tide. It was a high at approx. 10:30am, and after the late start, we only had a short time to fish this phase as we moved upstream following the last of the making tide. Another barra from the mangroves, a similar fish from the point of a little island and things were pretty good.

We'd even forgotten about the weather which had cleared up considerably as we headed inland / upstream. Further north along the Cape Tribulation range however, it was still pretty black and we hoped that we would remain dry for the day.


















Around a bend and along the bank side, casting to swaying ribbon grass now and another couple of small barra slammed our offerings. This was great fun.....I looked up and took in the vista. Man I love this river, why hadn't I fished here more often I asked Keith? The greenery and rainforest clad hills offered a spectacular backdrop to the gently flowing waters. It was good to be alive, in great company and in natures splendour.........do it guys. You won't be disappointed.



Hoe beautiful is this!

Time to head upstream, above the township I advised. So off we zoomed......past Barrats Creek, Humbug Straight and the township. I eased the little tinnie off the plane as settled into a smooth glide towards the river bank. A couple of cast and Keith and I had landed another barra each - how good was that! We were drifting downstream now, the dropping tide taking us past well known "hot spots", places that I have fished for over 20 years and regularly (well, almost....we always remember the good days!) caught fish.



As we drifted past the Daintree township I crossed river banks......there was a huge wed bed here now and this surely held a brra or two. I was not disappointed!

By this time I had grown tired of the little Aussie battler (green & gold lure) so decide to snap on my old favourite, the brown neutral coloured model. It was instant success as barra after barra (hold on Les...your not up at Aurukun just yet) well, a few anyway, shot from the swaying grass beds and engulfed my offering. I was absolutely stoked. I didn't care what happened next, we hand returned to a beautiful little piece of paradise and found some willing little barra.

Keith had a call from his lady, what time will you be home boys?...........OK, lets pull the pin and head off home.





















The day was just perfect!
The vista more stunning than I had remembered!
The weather gods had smiled upon us - no rain, a gentle breeze and comfortable temps (in and out of the water)
And as for the barra count......we landed 14 little barra for the day.....yes FOURTEEN!

Now that's not bad for this time of year in our neck of the woods, I just wish there were a couple of legals amongst them!

Catch you on the water
Regards, Les
www.fishingcairns.com.au


No comments:

Post a Comment